Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Paleo Kitchen: Chardonnay Shrimp Scampi

There are actually no words to describe my love of shrimp scampi and Chardonnay. So, I decided to put them together because why not? It's paleo... right? (Maybe not 100% the wine, but... it's wine. Isn't it essential to life? I think Cavemen and cavewomen alike would make multiple exceptions.)

Can I just complain for a quick second? I LOVE SHRIMP! WHY DO THEY HAVE TO BE CALORIE FILLED? Damn things. I mean like... 6 large/extra large pieces for 140 calories. I can low-key easily eat like 18 pieces of shrimp soooooooo.... Stackin' up them caloriessssss. I try to only eat shrimp like 4 times a month (aka every other week and then the next day for leftovers, yum.)

Also... It is just SO TEMPTING to snack on the shrimp as you're making them. The best chef always tastes her own food from time to time ;). But these tasty little morsels are just... Well, gotta taste them all, right?

JUST LOOK AT HOW APPETIZING THEY ARE #YUM.


Okay, let me give y'all the recipe because that's why you're probably reading this hahaha.

Chardonnay Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds of thawed, raw, unshelled shrimp (any size shrimp works, but I personally love the large/extra large ones)
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 tbsp garlic oil
  • 1/2 diced tomato
  • 6 ounces of Chardonnay (cheap is fine, the world will continue. I use Oak Leaf. They're like $3-5/bottle!!!)
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil (or ghee, but the coconut oil is just as good)
  • 1 diced jalapeno
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp parsley (I love parsley, so I'm never parse on it, hehe)
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice or the juice from 1 lemon
  • Lemon zest from 1 lemon
Instructions 
  • Heat up the olive oil in a large sauce pan on medium heat.
  • Throw in the garlic and jalapenos for 3-4 minutes (If the smell of jalapenos bother you, then wait to throw them in!)
  • Throw in the tomatoes. (Then throw in the jalapenos if you didn't put them initially!)
  • Add the coconut oil (or ghee)
  • Throw in the shrimp and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
  • Add the salt and parsley.
  • Add the lemon juice.
  • Throw in the Chardonnay. Then cover and let sit for 4-5 minutes.
  • Uncover and then add the lemon zest. Mix.
  • Lower the heat until it simmers and let it simmer for about 10 minutes with the cover half on.
Salad 

Okay, this was boring, but it photographs so beautifully. I only used romaine lettuce, carrots (which I peeled to make small ribbons), and raw onions. Then I used the sauce from the shrimp as my dressing. And then topped it off with shrimp (and extra parsley!) 

The whole thing was yummy! Not all too filling, so make sure to add a side of veggies! I had baby carrots and green beans on the side that were tossed in the sauce :).

So, these instructions and ingredients might not work for you, but that's fine. I'm not one to stick to recipes and neither should you. Cooking is so much more fun when you are inspired by something and then free hand the rest! I don't even actually use measuring utensils, so everything listed is a rough estimate, hehehe. I hope you enjoy it though :D!

No comments:

Post a Comment